In Class Agenda
Crowdsourcing Syllabus & Course (30 minutes)
You have 3 different colored pieces of paper. On one piece, write one thing that you are excited about. On another piece, write one thing you are anxious or concerned about. On the final piece, write one question you have about the course or the syllabus.
In groups of four, discuss your responses. As a group, decide on the most important response for each category. Share around with instructor response. Each group will submit all responses to the instructor.
Planning Your Course Adventure (30 minutes)
Good writers plan their projects and manage their time. This includes allowing enough time for the entire writing process, including allowing for feedback from others and polishing major projects. Since you are allowed to choose your own writing adventure in this course, it is essential that you plan and prepare for your trip. Thus, you will compose a Badging Pathway Plan. On a piece of paper or on your laptop/phone, you should write a Badging Pathway Plan that includes the following:
Course Grade State the grade you intend to earn in this course and the number of badges you intend to complete. Remember:
- To earn an A in the course, you must earn three (3) project badges and a peer review badge (at least 1 must be a Research Intensive Badge + 2 Additional Project Badges + Peer Review Badge)
- To earn a B in the course, you must earn two (2) project badges and a peer review badge (1 Research Intensive Badge + 1 Additional Project Badge + Peer Review Badge)
- To earn a C in the course, you must earn 1 Research Intensive Project Badge + 1 Peer Review Badge
- To earn a D in this course, you must earn 1 Research Intensive Project Badge
Badge #1 Description and Rational State the project badge you will work on first. Why did you choose it? What do you hope to learn? What new writing skills or experiences are you looking forward to? What do you think will be most challenging about this badge?
Partnerships State whether you will work on this badge individually or with partners. Do you have partners in mind or would you like me to play badge match-maker? You may work with up to three other students contingent on instructor approval. For most badging pathways, you will each complete Level 1 and Level 2 activities individually and work together on Level 3, although there are some exceptions. I will let you know which activities may be completed as a pair or group.
Necessary Materials List all the materials (hardware, software, books, supplies, transportation, etc.) that you will need to complete this badge. Remember it is your responsibility to buy, borrow, or arrange for these materials and bring them to class each day to complete your work. If you are unprepared for class and cannot work on your badging pathway, you’ll be counted absent for the day.
Badge Timeline Write out your due dates
If you intend to earn an A in the course, you should follow this timeline:
- Level 1 Activities: Complete by September 23
- Level 2 Activities: Complete by September 30
- Level 3 Activities: Complete by October 14
- Completed Badging Pathway: Submit in Class October 17
If you intend to earn a B in the course, you should follow this timeline:
- Level 1 Activities: Complete by September 28
- Level 2 Activities: Complete by October 10
- Level 3 Activities: Complete by October 25
- Completed Badging Pathway: Submit in Class on October 26
Question, Comments, or Concerns Write out any questions, comments, or concerns you have about this badging pathway.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to read all links, to notify your instructor immediately if a link is broken, to ask questions if you don’t understand an activity, to come prepared to do your individual or group work in class each day, to get feedback on your work as you progress through levels, and to meet all deadlines.
Exit Slip (Section 007)
Exit Slip (Section 023)
Complete Badge Pathway Plan. Bring a typed hard copy to class on Tuesday, September 19. Also, bring any materials (earbuds, computer, etc.) that you will need to work on Level 1 of your new badge.